Shortcuts in Xero
We have all experienced the time saving features available in Xero such as suggested reconciliation and the employee portal amongst others. Here are some neat tips and tricks to make your experience using Xero even better.
Xero keyboard shortcuts
These are really useful keyboard shortcuts which work not only in your browser but also in Xero.
|SHORTCUT KEY FOR XERO
| Click the scroll wheel on the mouse
OR mouse right click
|Opens a link in a new Tab
|Moves to the next browser Tab
|Moves to the previous browser Tab
|Closes the current browser Tab
|Moves the cursor to the next input box
|Moves the cursor to the previous input box
|Closes any current popup dialogue box
|Closes the entire browser
Using shortcuts to edit employee templates
These keystrokes are really useful when modifying employee templates. For example:
- Open the first employee on the “Pay Template” page.
- Drop down the list of employees at the top of the screen, and click the next name in the list with the scroll wheel on the mouse or by right clicking with the mouse. This will open the next employee in a new Tab.
- Repeat this step for each employee.
- Use the Ctrl+Tab button to move to the next employee, or use Ctrl+Shift+Tab to move back through the employees.
- Press the Tab button on the keyboard to move through the input boxes on the screen, or the Shift+Tab buttons to move backwards.
- When finished editing an employee, click the green Save button and press Ctrl+F4 to close that Tab.
TIP: The most user friendly browser here is Chrome as otherwise the Tabs will squash up if there are too many to display across the screen.
Using shortcuts to void an Invoice if it has Payment
If an invoice has a payment allocated to it, the only way to void the invoice is to remove the payment.
You can save time by using the shortcut keys above to drill down to the Invoice and payment in new Tabs.
- Go to the invoice in question – you can search in the ‘Paid’ section of Invoices.
- Click on the invoice with the scroll wheel on the mouse or by right clicking with the mouse. This will open it in a new Tab.
- Use the Ctrl+Tab button to move to the Invoice details.
- Click on ‘Payment’ at the bottom of the invoice with the scroll wheel on the mouse or by right clicking with the mouse. This will open the Payment in a new Tab.
- Press the Ctrl+Tab button on the keyboard to go to the Payment. Select ‘Remove & Redo’ in the drop down menu next to Options to clear the Payment.
- Select Ctrl+F4 to close the tab and go back to the Invoice details.
- Refresh this page and you can then select Void to delete the Invoice.
- Select Ctrl+F4 to close the Tab when done.
Hopefully these tips will save you a bit of time in the future, they become second nature after a while!
If you have any other suggestions or tips we’d love to hear from you – just send in a comment below.